Northumbrian Division

Division, Brigade & Battalion

Under the Army reforms of 1908, the Territorial Army was formed and organised into regional Divisions, area Brigades and local Battalions. There were 14 Territorial Divisions when war broke out in 1914. A Division (Divn) was in effect a self-contained army of approximately 18000 men including infantry, cavalry, artillery, engineer, medical, supply and signal units. The Northumberland Divn was typical, consisting of three infantry brigades (Bde), namely the 'Northumbrian', 'York and Durham' and 'Durham Light Infantry (DLI)' Bdes. Each Bde was comprised of four infantry battalions (Bn). The Northumbrian Infantry Bde was comprised of the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Bns of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Northumbrian (Territorial) Division HQ - Richmond (Yorkshire) GOC - Major General B. Burton 1914

Infantry comprised of 12 battalions organised into 3 Brigades:

Northumberland Infantry Bde

Select link to learn about this Bde and the 4th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers.

York and Durham Bde

Select link to learn more

Durham Light Infantry Bde

Select link to learn more

Cavalry comprised only of 'A' Sqn from the Yorkshire Mounted Bde.

The Yorkshire Mounted Bde

'A' Squadron Yorkshire Hussars

Engineers comprised of the 1st and 2nd Northumbrian Field Coys and 50th Division Signal Company (Royal Engineers):

The 1st Northumbrian Field Company. HQ - Newcastle The 2nd Northumbrian Field Company. HQ - NewcastleThe 50th Division Signal Company

Artillery comprised of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Northumbrian Bdes (Royal Field Artillery) and the Northumbrian Heavy Battery (Royal Garrison Artillery).

Royal Field Artillery

The 1st Northumbrian Bde was comprised of:

The 1st Northumberland Battery

The 2nd Northumberland Battery

The 3rd Northumberland Battery

The 1st Northumbrian Ammunition Column. HQ - Newcastle

The 2nd Northumbrian Bde was comprised of:

The 1st East Riding Battery The 2nd East Riding Battery The 3rd East Riding Battery The 2nd Northumbrian Ammunition Column. HQ - Hull

The 3rd Northumbrian (County of Durham) Bde was comprised of:

The 1st Durham Battery. HQ - Seaham Harbour The 2nd Durham Battery. HQ - Durham The 3rd Durham Battery. HQ - West Hartlepool The 3rd Northumbrian (County of Durham) Ammunition Column. HQ - Seaham Harbour

The 4th Northumbrian (County of Durham) Howitzer Bde was comprised of:

The 4th Durham (Howitzer) Battery. HQ - South Shields The 5th Durham (Howitzer) Battery. HQ - Hebburn on Tyne

The 4th Northumbran (County of Durham) Ammunition Column. HQ - South Shields

Royal Garrison Artillery

The Northumbrian (North Riding) Heavy Bty. HQ - Middlesborough

Transport & Supply was comprised of the 50th Divisional Train (Army Service Corps):

The 50th Divisional Train was comprised of 467, 468, 469 and 470 Coys:

467 Company. HQ - Gateshead

468 Company. HQ - Newcastle

469 Company. HQ - Hull 470 Company. HQ - Sunderland Joined by 336 (Motor Transport) Company

Medical was comprised of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Northumberland Field Ambulances (Royal Army Medical Corps):

The 1st Northumbrian Field Ambulance. HQ - Newcastle The 2nd Northumbrian Field Ambulance. HQ - Darlington The 3rd Northumbrian Field Ambulance. HQ - Hull